[ale] PCMCIA modem recommendations?

Christopher Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Mon Mar 13 13:26:52 EST 2006

Orinoco sells a modem?  I did not know.

Go to Frys and buy a Zoom PCMCIA modem.  It is PCMCIA and has a black
sticker with the Zoom logo.  I've got a few of these and we've put them
through a dial test of 1000 calls.  Takes 9 hours to complete and I only
think it failed 10 times out of 1000.  We also certify this modem to
work with our Linux embedded device so I know it will work.  I had
originally ordered 100 Zonets and found out that as temp increased in
the card the failures would increase to the point that the modem could
no longer sync with an inbound modem.  The Zoom was the replacement and
now I have about 100 crappy modems that no one can use.

Bottom line:

Zonet: $25
Zoom:  $80+

You get what you pay for and for casually connectivity the Zonet is
great but our devices are out in the field and have to work as good on
day 365 as they did on day 1.