[ale] Wanted: trivial minicom-type function

Christopher Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Mon Mar 13 09:25:15 EST 2006

On Mon, 2006-03-13 at 09:18 -0500, Geoffrey wrote:
> Mills, John M. wrote:
> > ALErs -
> >
> > Before I write it, can anyone suggest a simple (even trivial) way to
> > plug 'stdin'/'stdout' to a specified '/dev/tt*' so byte traffic simply
> > goes both ways? No smarts required.
>
> exec >/dev/tty???
> exec 2>/dev/tty???

I think that only works if the tty is in a decent mode to begin with.
If you do this on a serial port not in raw mode you may run into an
issue with echo.  I still think we need more detail on the problem
before offering a good solution.

Minicom places the tty or serial port in raw mode and the user tty is in
cooked mode.  Minicom also is a middle man between the user and the
transport.  Transport could be TCP or serial does not really matter in
UNIX.