[ale] Finding desktops, laptops and hardware in Atlanat

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Mon Mar 13 08:18:40 EST 2006

Joshua Kite wrote:
> IIRC, the last time I helped someone buy Windows machines from Dell, they
> did not come with restore CD's.  Instead, the hard drive has partition set
> aside for restoration purposes.  When I asked my coworkers about this policy
> from Dell they responded that this was part of M$'s new policy.  I'm not
> saying that these are legitimately licensed PC's, but I'm not so sure that
> you're expected to get CD's with a licensed XP machine.

This is the direction most vendors are headed.  Sucks, because they
expect you to not use that portion of the hard drive.   As I noted
previously, I had to create 10 cds off the existing drive of a compaq
computer in order to have my 'restore' disks.  That's around 6 gig of
wasted space on the drive.

--
Until later, Geoffrey