[ale] Atlanta school converted to Linux by PTA

Daniel Howard dhhoward at comcast.net
Fri Mar 10 20:52:19 EST 2006

Atlanta Linux Folk,

Sorry to take so long to reply to this, my inbox has been rather busy of
late.  Yes, it was I and William Fragakis, two parents and now Atlanta
Linux enthusiasts, who were tired of constantly running around fixing
Windoz 95/98 problems, that with our principal, mounted initially an
insurrection, and now promoted to revolution, at Morris Brandon
Elementary School in Buckhead.  Current status is that our school has
tripled the number of working PCs in each class with zero viruses and
spyware issues, miniscule maintenance requirements, and yes, Atlanta
Public Schools is looking at our school as a proof of concept project
and believe it or not, is seriously considering whether deployment on a
district-wide basis makes sense.  But we had to fight a long battle to
get there.

There are many issues that are sensitive, and should be discussed
offline.  The key however, is to have the support of the principal, PTA,
and teachers at your school, and be squeaky clean in implementation.
For example, we hardcoded the MAC addresses of every client to its
server via the dhcpd.conf file, and turned off dynamic DHCP so that if
someone crossed the wires to the server, it would not hand out IP
addresses to the teacher's PCs.

The most important element that allowed us to recommend the K12LTSP
software was the fact that teachers were only using the PCs for web
browsing, office applications, and finally that the Accelerated
Reader/Math package we had been paying for was now available in a
web-delivered version.  That meant that if we switched to Linux, we
could still do all the critical apps we had been doing in Windoz.  We
started with the computer lab, purchasing and installing 25 diskless,
fanless thin clients (to show where the future of thin client computing
was going), and then converted the former computer lab Dell PCs into
servers and began installing them in the higher grades, moving down in
grade level as we went.  I sought the donation of PCs from local
businesses and got over 100 that we converted to thin clients; we now
have about 250 fully functional PCs in our school with a student to PC
ratio of less than 3:1.  Teachers are now scheduling PC activities daily
for students, since in a 6 hour day, each student can get up to 2 hours
of individual time on the PC.  While test results are not in yet, one
1st grade class recently got the top national score in the First-In-Math
web site, and in another, some students doubled their scores one week
after we upped the number of PCs in their class.  I also recommended the
installation of a cable modem to augment our local bandwidth, as the
district feed was delivering dialup speeds regularly; Linux + higher
speed Internet connection gave blazing results.  We used an old PC
running Squidgard/DansGuardian for web content filtering and site
blocking.  Later, we converted the entire 5th grade to a single server
to show the scalability of K12LTSP for reducing the number of PCs to
manage.

Months after we initially offered to meet with district IT personnel, a
meeting was finally arranged whereby we briefed them on the system and
the result was a proposal, then counter-proposal, and finally a recent
IT hire at Atlanta Public Schools who came to talk to us about it who
'got it.'  She immediately asked that we meet regularly with her team so
they could observe the system in operation, evaluate the issues/risks,
and make recommendations to her on proceeding with other schools.  We're
now working on a major briefing to district personnel based on the joint
evaluation efforts of our parent volunteers and district IT personnel
and the benefits/lessons learned of our project.

My personal hope is that if they do decide to move to Linux, I will have
personally touched the lives of every child in Atlanta.  Linux empowers
us...and I didn't really know that much about it when we started.

So, in summary:
1.  Get the solid support of the PTA, principal, and teachers first
2.  It's easier to ask forgiveness than ask permission, but make it
squeaky clean
3.  A cable modem or DSL small business connection costs only $100 a
month and combined with Linux makes web browsing blazingly faster.  But
make sure it's filtered!
4.  Be prepared to address the usual onslaught of anti-Linux rhetoric

For more info, contact me personally.  If anyone outside of Atlanta
Public School would like to see our system in action, contact me; since
we're officially part of the system now, we'd have to go through them to
help other APS schools.  It's truly amazing to see what happens when
kids have frequent access to working PCs and the teachers can use them
without fear of failure in their instruction.

Some fun anecdotes:

"We're never going back to the old way for our computers!"  Last year's
PTA president.

"I'll take as many PCs as you can give me, now that I see that they work
so well!"  A teacher.

"What's this new K12LTSP software we have to get trained on?  I just saw
an email about training for it."  "You've been using it for the last
hour to read your email on the web."  "Oh, I guess I don't need too much
training."  Another teacher.

"You mean that's the same old computer that hasn't worked for the last
several years, and now it works great?  What is this stuff?"  Another
teacher.

"You know what I love about the new Linux software?  The educational
application software is the same on every PC, and I don't have to find
the CD rom disk, figure out on which PC it's installed, unjam the CD rom
drive that the kids have jammed, and figure out which disk in the
package runs the software and which disk has the bonus features."  My
daughter's teacher.

"You guys rock!"  Many teachers.

Best regards,

Daniel Howard