[ale] X11 module probs with Mandriva 2005 update

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Fri Mar 10 08:29:02 EST 2006

William Bagwell wrote:
> On Thursday 09 March 2006 10:57 am, Geoffrey wrote:
>> William Bagwell wrote:
>>> Oh, try a clean install keeping /home. I have used Mandr*** since 8.0
>>> and have *never* had an upgrade work 100% correctly...
>> So, are you a glutton for punishment, or just a slow learner? :)
>
> A slow learning volunteer beta tester? Seriously, an upgrade with a single
> point jump works OK... I usually try this first then do then clean install
> around /home just to cut my tweeking down a bit. Always a wise choice when
> upgrading and skiping a version.

Do note the smilely. :)

Main problem with this solution is if /home is not a separate file
system.  You can update and tell it not to format, but then you may have
files leftover in system directories that cause problems.

In most cases, it should be pretty easy to backup /home and do the clean
install.

--
Until later, Geoffrey