[ale] OT... Security black humor...

Jim Popovitch jimpop at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 8 13:27:19 EST 2006

Greg Freemyer wrote:
> On 3/8/06, Jim Popovitch <jimpop at yahoo.com> wrote:
>> Rob Fauls wrote:
>>> we have all reverted back to third grade...you do realize that, right?
>> not only that, but it's become difficult to determine who is serious and
>> who isn't.  Scary.
>>
>> -Jim P.
>
> If you haven't figured it out, everyone is serious.
>
> The page gets the IP of the client and apparently the OS.  Then it
> generates a GIF image unique to the visitor.

Duh.

Apache servers for YEARS had something similar (printenv) that showed
the same info sans the gif image.   I am totally amazed that this thread
has given life to those who could somehow think that their IP address
and identified OS type have remained hidden from websites they visit.

Lamers! Lamers I say.

-Jim P.