[ale] USB wifi adaptor for Linux (Fedora) and old iBook/Mac

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Thu Mar 2 19:03:38 EST 2006

tfreeman at intel.digichem.net wrote:
> I've googled, and confused myself more than achieved anything resembling
> clarity.
>
> I have an old iBook clamshell which used to have an airport card
> installed. Unfortunately for me, my daughter needs the card more than I
> do, and the portable doesn't accept the newer cards. I can either eBay for
> a used card (at roughly the cost of a new one I'm told) or get a USB
> adaptor which has Mac drivers. If I go to an external, I would want to use
> it with some Linux hardware at times, so I would vastly prefer to have
> native Linux drivers also. (I have both Apple/Mac and intel hardware
> available to me, so native drivers are mostly imperative(sp?).)
>
> An added advantage of USB would be better war driving 8-), although using
> that as an excuse is just silly.
>
> Has one of the hardware gurus been down such a road and have an clue I
> might borrow?

I have not made the full trip.  I played with a netgear wg111t for a
short time as I found documentation that indicated it would work with
Linux.  Checking out the netgear website, it indicates that the system
requirements are Windows 2000 or XP, thus it apparently does not have
Mac drivers.

I quite trying to get it to work with Linux because I didn't have the
time AND my first foray into that realm dealt me a locked up laptop.

Not a lot of help, but it might get you a starting point. (or one less
option to consider?)

--
Until later, Geoffrey

War never solved anything, well, except slavery, fascism and communism