[ale] Software RAID1 rebuild after HDD failure (How to do?)

Ryan Fish FishR at bellsouth.net
Fri Jun 30 17:27:47 EDT 2006

One disk in a software RAID1 mirror has failed on a RHEL3 ES box.  I am
trying to figure out exactly what I need to do once I have the new HDD in
hand and am ready to replace the failed one.

I am thinking the following must be done:

1) Physically replace the disk

2) Enter the BIOS of the RAID card and set the drive to JBOD and as a hot
spare (not sure why though when using SW RAID)

3) Partition the new HDD in the same manner as the good disk using fdisk

Disk /dev/hda: 80.0 GB, 80000000000 bytes

255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 9726 cylinders

Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

   Device Boot    Start       End    Blocks   Id  System

/dev/hda1   *         1        13    104391   fd  Linux raid autodetect

/dev/hda2            14       144   1052257+  fd  Linux raid autodetect

/dev/hda3           145      9726  76967415   fd  Linux raid autodetect

  - How to set the ID to fd?

  - How to set the system to raid autodetect?

4) Format the drive to use ext3 on all partitions

5) Use raidhotadd or mdadm to add the partitions of the new HDD into the
proper spots within the RAID1 array.

Am I thinking too much or too little here?  I've never had to do this before
so any and all help with getting the steps down will be GREATLY appreciated.

Thank you!

-Ryan