[ale] Spam prevention

Fulton Green ale at FultonGreen.com
Thu Jun 29 20:04:08 EDT 2006

On Thu, Jun 29, 2006 at 07:24:20PM -0400, David Corbin wrote:
> On Thursday 29 June 2006 06:37 pm, Fulton Green wrote:
> hosting provider? what that :)  I thought there were some 'free' black lists,
> and I *thought* I was using them, but I could be wrong.

I know (but obviously forgot) that there are free ones, but I also know
that some offer subscriptions.  It may be metered on usage, i.e., if it's
just your personal mail relay vs. one that is shared by hundreds of email
addresses, etc.

I forgot to mention that there's also a blackhole list that checks the
URLs of the embedded links.  This is, among other uses, for the "drive-by"
hacked servers, typically in the Pacific Rim, that host the temporary
online "stores" for offshore pharmacies and such.  I've found it to be
extremely effective, though sadly (?) it also seems to include the
occasional opt-in commercial mailing list.