[ale] Getting exim to work with bellsouth

Jim ale_nospam at fayettedigital.com
Sat Jun 24 05:22:44 EDT 2006

I found an old post on the ale list that gave me the following config to
add to the exim configuration file.
send_to_gateway:
  #driver = dnslookup
  driver = manualroute
  domains = ! +local_domains
  transport = remote_smtp
  #ignore_target_hosts = 0.0.0.0 : 127.0.0.0/8
  route_list = * mail.bellsouth.net
no_more

  I did so, but I'm getting an error like:

2006-06-24 05:12:13 1Fu4BZ-0003yI-A4 ** me at sunnydelight.com
R=send_to_gateway T=remote_smtp: SMTP error from remote mailer after
MAIL FROM:<root at asterisk1.local> SIZE=1334: host mail.bellsouth.net
[205.152.59.16]: 553 asterisk1.local does not exist

when I try to send mail via the "mail" command.  How do I configure it
to use a valid from address?  I even generated a message with a valid
From: tag and passed it directly to sendmail (exim) but it still
complained in the same manner.

I'm missing something.

This is a CentOS system running on my local network using Bellsouth DSL
line.

Thanks,
Jim.