[ale] FC6

Fulton Green ale at FultonGreen.com
Fri Jun 23 15:12:17 EDT 2006

On Fri, Jun 23, 2006 at 03:01:48PM -0400, Vernard Martin wrote:
> Christopher Fowler wrote:
> > Why have 6 so close to 5?  Why not just make 5 better with updates?
> >
> Fedora Core exists as a testing ground for RedHat Enterprise Linux.
> Dont' fool yourself into thinking that RedHat cares about it beling
> stable in any shape or form.  They pretty much confirmed this as the
> RedHat conference a few weeks ago.

To second V's (and Michael Still's) remarks and clarify some possible
misunderstandings:

FC6T1, not the final FC6, was released on Wednesday.

Fedora's policy has been, since its inception, to have rapid releases. I
think they're averaging about one every 8 months.  Some people like the
cutting / bleeding edge that this policy provides.

If you need more stability than that, the Fedora Legacy project can
help you sustain whatever Fedora you have for a reasonable period of time.
If you need even more stability, CentOS (based on RHEL's source code) may
be a better way to go for you.

All this assuming, of course, that you want to stick within the Red Hat
style of doing things.  I'm sure others can speak up for their camps.

And FWIW, I'm currently running Ubuntu, so it's not like I'm a fanboy.