[ale] a better ssmtp?

Jim Popovitch jimpop at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 23 15:12:15 EDT 2006

I use ssmtp to get mail (logchecks, tripwire, etc) off a few distributed
hosts.  It works, it works well, it emulates basic sendmail
functionality, and it doesn't require a daemon (it simply provides
/usr/lib/sendmail).  The problem I have with ssmtp is that it only
supports one mailhub in it's configuration.  This is great if you only
have one mailhub that is running 100% of the time (LOL!).  If ssmtp
can't connect to the mailhub it just barfs and dumps the email in
~/dead.letter on distributed host de'jour.   This makes system
administration a nightmare because if you are doing maintenance on the
mailhub used by ssmtp then you never if you have to go check for
dead.letters, let alone on which remote ssmtp host.

Does anyone know of a simple, scaled down, command line mailer that:
    -doesn't require a running daemon
    -supports more than 1 mailhub to forward mail
    -will spool and retry sending failed deliverables

thx,

-Jim P.