[ale] Apache proxy problems

runman runman at speedfactory.net
Thu Jun 22 00:47:12 EDT 2006

ok, I have a single public ip address xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx, 2 web servers
(webserver1 and webserver2) and 3 domains (www.domain1.com , www.domain2.com
, and www.domain3.com)

webserver1 hosts the following sites : www.domain1.com , www.domain2.com
webserver2 hosts the following sites : www.domain3.com

I have the following network topology :
INTERNET <--> FIREWALL <--> switch <--> webserver1
                            switch <--> webserver2

I am using OpenBSD's Apache for webserver1 and FreeBSD's lighttpd for
webserver2

What I want is for webserver1 to proxy www.domain3.com or in other words
when a person on the Internet hits my static ip and is directed to
webserver1 then that box will proxy their requests (and the returns) to
webserver2

However I think I am getting lost in the syntax of apache proxying.

Here is what I have in my httpd.conf that is relative to this problem :

LoadModule proxy_module

# Proxy Directives
ProxyPass www.domain3.com  http://<ip address of webserver2>
ProxyPassReverse www.domain3.com  http://<ip address of webserver2>

and I get a big fat
Network error
Unable to request URL from host www.domain3.com:80: Connection refused

Can what I want even be done ? or should I use Squid to proxy this mess ?

All hints and constructive comments welcome.

Greg