[ale] Mass Transit Solutions?

Pete Hardie pete.hardie at gmail.com
Tue Jun 20 13:50:07 EDT 2006

On 6/20/06, Brian MacLeod <nym.bnm at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Who needs a unique ID for a bike?  A standard beacon (IR, RF, and
> > visible) would be
> > quite suitable.  Make 'em cheap, and let people trade them, buy in
> > bulk, etc.  All the rider needs is to be seen and located, not
> > identified.
>

> "Ah, way cool!  I can cause all traffic to stop on my road just by
> buying a bunch of transmitters and throwing them across it!
> Brilliant!"

s/transmitters/nails/

no difference, IMHO

> "I got hit by a car because my transmitter battery died.  I'm suing
> the battery company, transmitter manufacturer, car maker, driver,
> insurance company, and $MUNICIPALITY."

s/my transmitter battery died/I didn't look before crossing/

likewise.

> These are the problems.  It would actually be better for the cars to
> detect foreign objects on their own than to rely on transmitters.  The
> intelligence really needs to reside in the vehicle here, rather than
> assume that something else will tell it to watch out.  Yes, there
> should be a failover mechanism outside the vehicle, but the primary
> detection must be performed by the vehicle.

No argument here.  I'd just have transmitters like lights, reflectors,
etc for bikes now - those with brians will use them.

Besides, it's tought to get those deer to come in and get transmitters
attached.....

--
Better Living Through Bitmaps