[ale] Mass Transit Solutions?

Brian MacLeod nym.bnm at gmail.com
Tue Jun 20 13:03:11 EDT 2006

> Who needs a unique ID for a bike?  A standard beacon (IR, RF, and
> visible) would be
> quite suitable.  Make 'em cheap, and let people trade them, buy in
> bulk, etc.  All the rider needs is to be seen and located, not
> identified.

"Ah, way cool!  I can cause all traffic to stop on my road just by
buying a bunch of transmitters and throwing them across it!
Brilliant!"

"I got hit by a car because my transmitter battery died.  I'm suing
the battery company, transmitter manufacturer, car maker, driver,
insurance company, and $MUNICIPALITY."

These are the problems.  It would actually be better for the cars to
detect foreign objects on their own than to rely on transmitters.  The
intelligence really needs to reside in the vehicle here, rather than
assume that something else will tell it to watch out.  Yes, there
should be a failover mechanism outside the vehicle, but the primary
detection must be performed by the vehicle.

As stupid as it sounds, this makes failure "more tolerable."  If you
rely on external transmission, a failure can cause many repeat
incidents (multiple vehicles not getting alerts), while a failure in a
vehicle's detection routine should cause a single incident (this car
didn't figure out something was there).  The other vehicles, with
their routines, should be able to compensate for the now hazardous
condition ahead, rather than rely on an already failed transmission.

Then you have the problems that this will bring up: possible death of
aftermarket add-ons for vehicles since interfacing with electrical
system becomes even more critical; failures due to negligence on part
of repair shops; further regulation on repair shops as a barrier to
entry into market (and thus, more reliance on dealer service, more $$
for repairs); weaponry that targets sensor/electronics to disable
vehicles (imagine ELF/ALF developing EMP weapons to cause SUVs to
wreck, they'd love it!).

Lots of questions, fewer answers.

bnm