[ale] Mass Transit was Linux Sys Admin needed

William Bagwell rb211 at tds.net
Tue Jun 20 08:30:31 EDT 2006

On Monday 19 June 2006 09:19 pm, Jim wrote:

> William Bagwell wrote:
> >snip
> > Lingering bitterness over Atlanta killing the trolley, was a primary
> > reason why Cobb county rejected joining Marta when it was first
> > proposed back in the late 60s or early 70s.

> Thank the tire companies, as I understand it they killed all trolleys in
> the US (via politics) so they could sell more tires.

Was speaking with my father in-law (who is old enough to remember the
trolleys) about this the other day. He blamed bus manufactures...
Apparently who ever did the behind the scenes politicking only convinced
the big cities and not the few (then) rural areas the trolleys ran to.

Didn't some trolleys have both tires and rail wheels? I can remember seeing
rails still embedded in a few paved streets in downtown Atlanta as a small
child. Though the "rail road" style rails with exposed ties through the
Marietta and Smyrna area were already gone by then.
--
William