[ale] TCPDUMP and its alternatives?

Michael B. Trausch fd0man at gmail.com
Mon Jun 19 20:38:20 EDT 2006

On Mon, June 19 2006 18:28, Greg Freemyer wrote:

> I don't think it is the same tool you mention, but I always use
>> ethereal when I need to look at TCP/IP traffic at the frame level.
>
> It has a nice X-gui.  Not too different from the Windows netmon tool.
>
> http://www.ethereal.com/
>
> Its part of the SUSE distro, so I've always just installed from Yast.

Certainly wasn't the tool that I had previously used.  I am trying to see if
this will do what I am looking for -- I just want the IP:Port-->IP:Port
Data parts of the packet, and Ethereal seems to just give all the packets.
Also, I can't seem to save the output on the system - it tells me that I
don't have the rights (as root!)

	*shrugs*,
	Mike