[ale] WAY OT but a good cause

Robert L. Harris Robert.L.Harris at rdlg.net
Mon Jun 19 16:09:45 EDT 2006

Ok, ranters about being OT will be signed up for the montgomery ward
mailing list!

  My wife is working with a lady who is paralyzed from the neck down.  She
can move her chin, eyes and that's about it.  On a ventilater for breathing
even.  They are working on using a laptop with a voice recognition program
for her.  It's VERY slow going but they are hoping to get where she can use
emails, etc.  Yes, it is windows.  With this family I am not looking to
convert them unless someone wants to donate a laptop so their won't be
touched.

  I'm hoping someone knows some good software that works with voice
recognition for various home-based tasks.  I'm thinking of going with X10
so she can turn her lights on/off as well as if there is an IR remote on
the laptop so she can control her TV.  My wife is going to get me specs on
the laptop to see if that is possible.

  Whatever things I can come up with will need to be very time tollerant.
Speaking using a ventilator is not rapid and can be error prone.  I'm hoping
the technical community on this list can help out a really nice family to
make this lady's life nicer.  Please no anti-windows fun today, this is not
a place to work with a guinea pig who can just reformat or just take a break
if the learning isn't easy.

Thoughts, help?
  Robert

:wq!
                                         @ x-hkp://pgp.mit.edu
DISCLAIMER:
       ALONE.  I speak for              First One Should Be A Man
       no-one else.                       - Manowar