[ale] Problems with mount...

Brian J. Dowd bdowd at dentfirst.com
Fri Jun 16 19:39:23 EDT 2006

I have attached a laptop HD, using an adapter, as hdc on a desktop system
(in an effort to pull off some of the laptop's data to the desktop)
When I do a mount -t ext3 /dev/hdc1 ./mnt I can see the files from the
laptop's boot sector
Then I do an umount...
When I do a mount -t ext3 /dev/hdc2 ./mnt I get
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hdc2,
       or too many mounted file systems
       (aren't you trying to mount an extended partition,
       instead of some logical partition inside?)
Ok, I now know that I know nada about extended partitions or logical volumes
or how to access them.
Any ideas or helpful hints?