[ale] Share my frustration: what do you do for fax/data modems?

Christopher Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Fri Jun 16 16:02:10 EDT 2006

Okay....

I guess I need to explain some things here.  Remember that I deal with
modems daily.  In fact a few today.

1.  If it is too good to be true then it is not true.
2.  Hardware modems cost more than $10
3.  Repeat #2 10 times remembering #1.

Call Ginstar and tell them you need a hardware modem.  They don't keep
many around but they will sell you one.  I pay around $35-$50 ea.
I've never had problems getting hardware modems to work in Linux.

Multi-Tech sells a USB external powered by USB.  No wall wart.  $125.
Works great in 2.6 not so in 2.4.  Uses acm driver.  Driver has minimal
tty support in 2.4 does not even support character processing.  So stty
says one thing the truth is another.  I had to modify the driver to get
it to support CRNL type features.  I hacked it in an get an occasional
panic.

The USB modem is the size of a standard ZDX.  They have one that is even
smaller about the size of a USB ethernet dongle.  Very nice!

Since I live in a world of serial I respect UARTs. In the good ole days
UARTs were kings.  A true modem needs _no_ driver.  Any modem that
requires one is not a true modem.  Just a DSP masking as one and will
give you problems.  Reliable communications requires reliable hardware
and to me that means a hardware modem is the only answer.