[ale] Mass Transit Solutions?

Michael B. Trausch fd0man at gmail.com
Fri Jun 16 11:47:19 EDT 2006

On Fri, June 16 2006 11:15, Michael Still wrote:

> This is an active area of research that should see many advances over
> the upcoming decades.
>
> The use of Ad Hoc networks for the cars themselves would be a primary
> communication method between vehicles.  There should not be any
> reliance on a central system for this kind of network.  Also the use
> of a broadcast form of communication can be used to send out alerts
> like all lanes blocked on i-20 east.

I don't know about such a thing.  I think that ground travel by cars should
be done away with and we should all have our own little air-pods that can
go faster then cars.  :-)

> One problem that will have to be addressed is the fact that many
> people actually like to drive.  Mixing human drivers and autonomic
> driving would not work.  Zones would probably have to be created so
> that people could drive themselves when they wanted.

Well... that depends.  If the computers are programmed to follow the rules
of the road, then all that remains to be seen is getting the human drivers
to do the same... you know, turn signals, staying in a lane for 100 ft.
before continuing to move, actually moving into the HOV lane at the dotted
line and not over the double solid...

> There is soo much more that can be discussed about this but this is
> not the right forum for it.
>
> If there is enough momentum for a discussion then I can persuade the
> listmaster to create a new list like geeks at ale.org for OT discussions.
>  Having a geeks list has worked for other groups such as sunhelp.

That sounds like a good idea, I think.

	- Mike