[ale] Mass Transit was Linux Sys Admin needed

William Bagwell rb211 at tds.net
Fri Jun 16 09:08:12 EDT 2006

On Thursday 15 June 2006 02:02 pm, Jim Popovitch wrote:
> I too have spent some of my years in DC, and DC *does* have Mass Transit
> done right. ?Compare these Train two system maps:
>
> DC Metro:
> http://www.wmata.com/metrorail/systemmap.cfm
>
> Atlanta:
> http://www.itsmarta.com/getthere/schedules/index-rail.htm
>
> It would take 20 years for Atlanta to catch up. ?Which
> Mayor/Governor/Politician is going to invest time like that?

Catch up? The idiots should never have *abandoned* in the 50s what had
existed in the 1930s! A bit before my time so I'm not exactly sure when
they were first built, but depression era trolley lines ran as far as
Marietta to the north and Stone Mountain to the east. (Probably others
too.) Cheap, simple rail trolleys that cost a nickel to ride... Or so I
have been told, I only remember the rotting stations as a small child.

Lingering bitterness over Atlanta killing the trolley, was a primary reason
why Cobb county rejected joining Marta when it was first proposed back in
the late 60s or early 70s.
--
William