[ale] Linux Sys Admin needed

rhia rhiannen at atlantacon.org
Thu Jun 15 14:07:15 EDT 2006

On Thu, 2006-06-15 at 12:36 -0400, Paul Cartwright wrote:
> On Thu June 15 2006 12:23 pm, rhia wrote:
> > Bah. The Boortz 'show' isn't Libertarian (or even libertarian); it
> > appears he just claims so to be listed as different from Rush. The
> > radio persona Boortz is mostly a misogynistic conservative who
> > happens to think the war on drugs is a crock and that our government
> > bureaucracy is too big.
>
> we can't win that war, and our ( bloated) Gov't is entirely too big.

Didn't say we could. Also didn't say my views one way or the other on
either stance. ;) Was merely pointing out the two areas to which Boortz
clings attempting to claim being libertarian when, as Mark points out,
most of the views he forwards usually are not.

> we could start with privatizing schools and getting rid of the IRS.
>
> > Apparently it's a good hook considering the
> > size of his listener base. His true colors can be gleaned from the
> > way he fawns over Hannity et al and his utter contempt for even
> > moderately liberal issues.
>
> and if I said your moderately liberal issues weren't moderate?

Neat trick. So, what of "my" moderately liberal views aren't moderate?
<grin> Considering you have no information as to my views, I'm
"moderately" interested in what you'd answer. ;)

> > With sharp callers, the only way he
> > 'wins' an argument is his quite liberal use of the mute button.
> > Other 'wins' can be credited to a stunning cluelessness evident in
> > some of the callers (which, on the whole, doesn't say a lot of good
> > about a sizable chunk of his listener base.)
>
> I have heard him many times let callers have their say, til they were
> done talking. I have heard him talk through issues with callers who, I
> was SURE he would drop, yet he talked with them and had long
> conversations.

That is the usual basis for a call in talk show. However, just because
he has let people talk doesn't negate my statements. Quite often his way
of handling a caller is to talk over them, mute them, or simply drop
them and then continue on with his side of the argument offering them no
rebuttal. Then again, that's a trick a lot of talking heads utilize as
well.

> Lets not forget, it is his show, it is totally entertainment, and you
> have the choise of changing the channel.. there is always Air
> America :)

Already conceded that it is a show that fills the air between
commercials. ;) Personally, I don't listen to radio anymore, just as I
don't watch network TV. Even though I'll scan his site (rarely) for the
links he puts up and read his posts while there, my opinions on the
actual radio show may be a bit dated. Thankfully, I have not caught his
show for ... nearly 4 years now. However, I doubt his habit of muting
people for fun, show, or ego has changed all that much.

> > I consider his talk show just another form of shock-jock egotism
> > designed solely to grab people emotionally and sell them crap they
> > didn't realize they needed. ;)
>
> somehow I don't consider him in the same league as Howard Stern or the
> Greasepit, er Greaseman.. Back when I worked in DC, there were 2 rock
> station. One had Stern on in the morning, the other had the greasepit.
> That;s about the time I started listening to alternative radio...

Eh, all as distasteful as each other. Boortz tries his own form of
shocking his viewers into responding which gets him thrown into the same
category in my book. (Wonder what "she who must be obeyed" thinks of his
view that women shouldn't be allowed to vote. Comments like his on women
voters are almost guaranteed to shock and infuriate a large number of
listeners.) Bottom line is they all will say whatever it takes to keep
people listening in order for their sponsors to sell products.

> > Of course, that's just my opinion, YMMV. =)
> that's why there are soooo many radio stations to choose from!
> but only 1 has traffic reports every 15 minutes. With Capt'n Herb!!!

Used to dream of a radio station that would latch on to comprehensive
traffic updates as *the* draw of an early morning show, with weather and
news headlines as the filler...
but then reality snuck in. ;)

----
rhia
Excuse me, please. What universe is this?