[ale] Good online bookmark aggregator

Michael B. Trausch fd0man at gmail.com
Tue Jun 13 16:33:44 EDT 2006

On Tue, June 13 2006 16:17, Trey Sizemore wrote:
> On Tue Jun 13, 2006 04:05PM, James Sumners wrote:
> > Has a perl script:
> >
> > http://overstated.net/04/10/09-migrating-to-delicious
>
> Thanks, looks interesting.  The perl script needs a tab-separated text
> document, but Firefox only exports as an HTML file, as far as I can see.
>
> If I can get the bookmarks in the required format, looks like I'm
> golden. ;-)

What you could do, assuming that you have FTP, SCP, SFTP, or WebDAV access
to your hosting provider, is conjure up a cron job that sends the file
periodically to the web host.  It is stored natively as an HTML file,
though it isn't exactly always compliant.  However, it is readable by other
browsers, and you could even have a script process that HTML file on the
server side (say, with PHP) and extract all the information.  The really
nice thing about it is that if you are doing this, the entire hierarchy is
preserved and shown to you as an unordered list.  This makes for a long
page if you have a lot of bookmarks, but it works.

Additionally, if you use something like Konqueror for your web browsing, you
can have that export your bookmarks in pure HTML 4.01 Strict format.  That
way, you could convert it to XML and then use XSLT or something to make it
into a really neat list that you can use JavaScript to manipulate.
However, that would probably be going overboard.  :)

	- Mike