[ale] FC3t2->FC5

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Mon Jun 12 19:40:35 EDT 2006

On Mon, 2006-06-12 at 17:08 -0600, JK wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I've just burned a set of FC5 install CDs.  My intent is to upgrade my
> fileserver, which is currently running FC3-test-2.  Is this a reasonable
> thing to try?  Is there anything I should know before I start? Or am
> I just asking for trouble? RedHat's docs imply that upgrades
> just work by magic, but.... I'm skeptical.

Good thing. You need to read the release notes for each version between
where you are and where you are going. Some major points to be aware of
are big changes in /dev, any databases need to be dumped, archived and
then reloaded and several other little things I forget. When in doubt,
back it up first, then upgrade. At least you'll have a copy of the
files.

As this is a fileserver, you will certainly want an off-system backup of
the configurations for any file management system like samba, nfs, etc.

> In case it matters, all partitions are RAID 0. I thought that might
> possibly cause issues.

The upgrade process will recognize and should honor the existing disk
structure.