[ale] Size does count.

Benjie benjie.godfrey at gmail.com
Mon Jun 12 12:55:23 EDT 2006

I've used 10 different shuttle brand mini-pc's ( AMD and Intel) over
the past 3 years, and I have had horrible results.  I have experienced
about %80 power supply failure, and I think they cut too many corners
on the motherboards in manufacturing.  They have been very flaky.  I
will say that I have yet to experience any problems loading Fedora,
RedHat, or Debian on them.  There choice of hardware has been pretty
mainstream, which is a plus.  I have to admit that my failure rates
may be high because these machines have traveled a lot.  They were all
set up as application servers for the sales team at my former
employer, and God only knows what happened to them on the road.  So
your experience may be better.  The heat pipe technology seems to work
okay for cpu cooling, and the more recent models have been pretty
quiet, but they are still audible in a quiet room.

The epia processors in my experience suffer from too much integration.
 I haven't been able to use a board with anything other than
integrated video, and it was awful under Gnome and Fedora.  But the
system was way quiet,  I could barely hear the hard drive.  Good luck
Vernard.

Benjie