[ale] HOW2 stop printer after printing has begun ?

Michael B. Trausch fd0man at gmail.com
Sat Jun 10 13:51:45 EDT 2006

On Sat, June 10 2006 11:27, Courtney Thomas wrote:

> Thanks.
>
> I find that lpq doesn't reveal the documents that are then currently
> being printed. What was formerly "in queue", I guess, is then waiting in
> ram, and doesn't show by "lpq", as what's being printed, so .....the
> printing continues for quite a while if several documents have been
> sent, which is, really, the reason for my original query.
>
> I should have also revealed that I use 'apsfilter' for printing.
>
> Cordially,
> Courtney

Ahh.  Well, yes, if the printer has memory (and I didn't figure it has
_much_ since you were talking about a dot-matrix), then it is possible for
the printer itself to queue documents.  If lpq shows nothing, you can
follow Jim's posted solution and use that tunelp program to send a reset
out, or you can just shut the power to the printer off and work on it, then
bring it back on.

As long as there is nothing actively printing in the queue at the moment in
time when you turn off the printer, you can have the computer queue up new
things and it will start back up when the printer comes online.

You know, I thought I was the last person in the world to be using a
dot-matrix printer... :)

	- Mike