[ale] Build-yer-own NAS server

Greg Freemyer greg.freemyer at gmail.com
Thu Jun 8 08:05:06 EDT 2006

> There are several reasons drives are
> getting so cheap, and one of them is that quality is down. Drives are coming
> with shorter warranties. And of course, anything with moving parts is bound to
> fail eventually.

Ain't that the truth.  I had 3 drive failures Tuesday!!  None of them
were new, but still 3 in one day was pretty bad.  Following up a
earlier thread, all 3 had been sitting on the shelf, but all 3 had
been wiped(1) for reuse in the last 3 months, so the failure on all 3
had occured in the last 3 months while they were sitting on the shelf.

(1) wiped => dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hdx bs=4k

I'm close to saying any of these recent generation ATA drives just
need to be thrown out when 2 or 3 years old.

Greg
--
Greg Freemyer
The Norcross Group