[ale] Build-yer-own NAS server

Christopher Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Wed Jun 7 23:07:50 EDT 2006

On Wed, 2006-06-07 at 22:59 -0400, Robert Story wrote:
>         recovery from card failure is a simple as getting drives into
> another
>                 system

In RAID1 mode you can mount the individual devices as needed outside the
array.  Only do this if necessary and the raid is screwed.

One problem I have with software raid is corruption.  I was at a remote
site and had a PCI card go bad.  It would lock up the server and that
required a hard reboot.  I did this 3 times and the RAID1 no longer
worked.  I could not even mount the individual devices.  Luckily I send
a rebuild CD with each server and within 10 minutes FC2 and our software
was loaded.

I've had this problem before where if a raid was rebooted often during a
rebuild it would go corrupt and be unusable.   This is my only gripe
with the MD driver.  At least with ext3 on a regular drive I would have
a better chance when problems happen.