[ale] Build-yer-own NAS server

Paul Cartwright paul_tbot at pcartwright.com
Tue Jun 6 14:48:50 EDT 2006

On Tue June 6 2006 2:37 pm, Christopher Fowler wrote:
> Agreed. ?I think the 1TB device mentioned is one that uses RAID0 :(.
> Thats nice but there is a higher chance of failure with more drives
> and RAID0 means if one goes all your data goes. ?Or really your
> filesystem. You'll need to figure out how to get the data off the
> other drives of the raid.

I was just installing an app this weekend, on a RHES 3 update 4 system.
It was a new HP Proliant DL3180 box, dual processors... lotsa ram..
they used the hp smartstart to set it up, or TRIED to use it. It does
not support Linux as an OS :)
then they tried to creat a HUGE partition. They had 6-300 GB drives,
and tried to create 2 partitions,  the first was 20GB, the other THE
REST.. Problem is, RHES 3 update 4 has a 1 TB partition limit. We
didn't know that, and the redhat techie didn't either.
we had to update to RHES 3 update 6, which the application isn't
certified on..... and get a waiver. lotsa fun!!!
To be honest, I'm not sure what kinda RAID setup they use on those
things, I always come after that part is done.
--
Paul Cartwright
Registered Linux user # 367800