[ale] Build-yer-own NAS server

Jeff Hubbs hbbs at comcast.net
Tue Jun 6 13:03:27 EDT 2006

Pete Hardie wrote:
> 1) is this a bonkers idea in the first place?

Not in the least.  We've had all of our machines, Windows and Linux, in
the house using a common file server for years and it is, frankly,
invaluable.
> 2) what should I look at w/r/t the NAS device proper (which distro,
> mobo issues, etc)?

If ever there were a set-and-forget application, this is it.  I run
Gentoo on a Sockey 7 mobo with a K6-2+/550 (basically a K6-3 laptop
CPU).  There is a PCI IDE card with two 160GB drives connected.  The box
boots to a third non-RAID drive.
> 3) what type of RAID would be suitable for this?

RAID 1, 10, 0+1, or 5.  Much depends on how cost-effective you want to
be with your disks.  160GB was a big deal when I built my file server,
so I could only pop for two drives, leaving me with ~150GB effective
under RAID 1.  You *can* spread RAID 5 among onboard and not-onboard
controllers and it won't matter terribly much.