[ale] Build-yer-own NAS server

J. D. Pearson jpearson at turbocorp.com
Tue Jun 6 13:01:38 EDT 2006

Heya Pete,

     You have my attention w/ the $300. Is this really possible? Do you
mean just the price of the drives in a raid0 config?

1. Doesn't sound bonkers to me.
2. (no opinion here)
3. A redundant array such as raid5. Minimum 3 drives, capacity of two
out of the three drives. May need a hardware controller for this.
4. Probably want a decent UPS. Software raid may be a cheaper option for
you. IDE raid5 using the motherboard sucks if it forces you to
put one of the harddrives on the same cable as the cdrom (this screws
performance WAY up)

hth,

J. D.

--