[ale] transfer of user accounts

Robert Karaffa rkaraff at emory.edu
Tue Jun 6 10:50:18 EDT 2006

hi folks,
	I'm replacing our aging webserver (Mandrake 8.0) with new hardware.
What is the best way to transfer our user accounts and their info to
our new server?

We run Netatalk, Samba and Apache.
We have over 250 user accounts.
Their data is stored on a separate 80Gb drive in /usr0.  /var is also
on that drive.

I've been trying to nfs-mount that directory and do the transfer (cp -
ax *) to the new server but I keep getting "permission denied" errors
from the server.

Is there a better way?  rsync?  tar?  I've tried tar and it failed
miserably (I'm sure it is something I did not do correctly, and
forgive me for asking for help, I am trying to figure this out on my
own...and failing miserably...!).

I want to keep the same permissions/owner/group flags for all of the
user accounts.

-Bob K.

--
Robert E. Karaffa, II