[ale] OT: Comcast

Michael B. Trausch fd0man at gmail.com
Tue Jun 6 09:40:13 EDT 2006

On Tue, June 6 2006 07:54, Jim wrote:
> Michael B. Trausch wrote:
> >On Tue, June 6 2006 02:03, Cliff Free wrote:
> >>Am I the only one who HASN'T seen problems w/ Comcast over the last
> >>several weeks?
> >
> >I wouldn't say the only, but likely one of the very few.
> >
> >I am getting _very_ frustrated with them, and actually considering a
> >downgrade to DSL if it will at least offer more connection stability.  I
> >have really just about had it with ComCast.
> >
> >	- Mike
>
> I told myself I wasn't going to comment, 'cause about the time I did,
> all hell would break loose, but I gotta say I've been very happy with
> Bell South DSL since I got rid of that alcatel modem.  In 2.5 years, the
> only outage I experienced was when they came along and blocked port 25.
> I don't know what else they did, but that was the only thing I
> detected.  I share the opinion of Bell South that many of you do but
> have been pleasantly surprised at the reliablity of DSL.
>
> I feel pretty lucky.  I get almost the 3 mbs that they advertise
> according to the speed tests I've done.  The last time around they
> reduced my costs, doubled my speed and gave me a static IP all for
> nothing.  I know, competition was the motivation, but it's not often
> these days you get more for less, except when buying a new computer.
>
> Jim (trusting my service won't degrade immediately 'cause of pride).

Well, I certainly hope that you did not just jinx your service by telling us
that.  :)

We will likely be switching things up if the problems continue, though.  I
go to school over the Internet, and frankly, outages and frequently
intermittent service are unacceptable.  Today it has been alright, so far
(*crosses fingers*).

However, on an average day, everything just drops -- for no apparent
reason -- somewhere between four and six times a day.  Sometimes the outage
state only lasts a few minutes, and other times, the outage state can last
a few hours or more.  That is more then irritating; it makes things quite
hard to do when you absolutely need your connection.

	- Mike