[ale] x10 controller

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Mon Jun 5 12:27:18 EDT 2006

On Sun, 2006-06-04 at 23:38 -0400, Jim Popovitch wrote:
> I'm shutting down my long time x10 controller (bottlerocket + linux PC)
> as it is collecting too much dust.  So, I visited x10's website looking
> for a new and improved standalone controller that supports scheduling.
> But, after about 2mins of playing whack-a-mole with all the ads on that
> site I decided to resurrect my bottlerocket PC until I can find a better
> alternative.

> Does anyone know of a simple x10 controller (preferably battery powered)
>   that supports schedules?

	Go up to SmartHome.com and do some reseach.  Your biggest problem will
be wading through all their various offerings, but you don't have to put
up with the same level off BULLSHIT you get from X10.com.  They are more
pricey but they've got good controllers for serial and usb for several
lines of PLCs like X10 or Insteon (most Insteon devices also support
X10).  I use their X10 controllers with the X10dev stuff but it also
compatible with heyu and other packages.  Their X10 PLC controllers are
superior to the X10 offerings.  Don't have drivers yet for the Insteon
stuff, but it's being worked on.

	Word of warning...  Do NOT go with the latest USB based controller
stuff from X10.com (the ActiveHome Pro CM15A POS)!  It really is a piece
of shit and it stinks to high heaven!  They've been promising the specs
to the OpenSource community for years and AFAIK have never come through
on their promises.  There are some hacks out there to access the CM15A
but it's filled with comments about, "it uses one standard here and
other standard there..."  On top of that, if you read their forums, a
lot of their USB controller/receivers suffer from a severe lack of
sensitivity and signal that makes them rather poor devices compared to
others.  If you can find the old CM11a X10 devices, they're much better
in the performance department.

> -Jim P.

	Mike