[ale] Install help

Björn Gustafsson bg-ale at bjorng.net
Fri Jun 2 09:26:33 EDT 2006

Hi Mark,

On 6/2/06, Mark Wright <mpwright at speedfactory.net> wrote:

> I ran the perl command you suggested and after a few minutes the
> message "you appear to lack the pcap(3) library'  came up.

That may be why the Aimsniff author recommended building the pcap
module from source. Hard to say without complete information.

> I searched for pcap in
> the package manager on Ubuntu but get no hits.   There is a
> libpcap0.8-dev that is not installed.

Looks like there are two non-dev libpcaps, one that's version 0.7 and
one that's explicitly named libpcap0.8.  See under
http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/libp/ and pick the one that
Aimsniff needs.

--
Bj?rn Gustafsson