[ale] Burning DVD-V's with Linux

runman runman at speedfactory.net
Thu Jun 1 23:32:35 EDT 2006

I have several tapes from my Sony Digital Video camera of various family
functions that I would like to burn to a DVD that I can send to other family
members so that they can use them on their DVD - to - TV players.  I would
like to be able to have some easy way to put a simple menu on it and create
sections or chapters (i.e. "Christmas" , "Daughter's Birthday" , etc) on it
also.  Needless to say, it needs to be simple as I don?t have the time to
become a Linux multimedia expert.

I have Googled and came up with Kino and K3b.  Kino seems ok, but I would
like to hear from someone who actually has some experience with it.  However
the site did have a few "Eureka it *actually worked* stories so that was
encouraging.  However they seemed to use a program called dvdauthor a lot.
They also use a lot of vi analogies which is better yet.

K3b seems to be oriented towards CD's and music but I gather it can
front-end for DVD programs but requires a lot of work.  Normally I would
prefer "the work" but unfortunately time is short these days so I am looking
for something a little more packaged and user friendly.  Google also
suggested several CLI programs which seem ok, but I am not sure how you
could put a menu on them - or even if you could.

I have Suse 9.3 Pro and recall an earlier Suse Pro version having a
commercial DVD program that would do what I want but cannot recall it's
name.  Regardless, I was wondering if there are any other's on the list that
do the DV to DVD transformation or even multimedia gurus with some advice on
this matter.  (Sorry, Aaron, a Mac isn't in my future !)

Needless to say, there are a plethora of Windows programs but I would rather
not go there unless it is my only option.

Thanks in advance,

Greg