[ale] Install help

Mark Wright mpwright at speedfactory.net
Thu Jun 1 21:34:33 EDT 2006

Hi all,

I consider myself a real geek but Linux sometimes makes me feel like
a n00b winders luser all because I don't write my own programs.  I
understand programming a bit, Fortran in College,  and I have done
extensive script writing in the past but nothing humbles me like the
'make install --Not OK' loop I get into sometimes.  I have installed
a dozen or so programs successfully but this one has been going bad
from the start.

I am trying to install Aimsniff.  (www.aimsniff.com)

In the Readme the author says bluntly he doesn't support windows
because he only wants serious responsible users.  He states that real
network professionals know 'nix.  I like his attitude.

He has provided bare bones install instructions.  I am using Ubuntu
5.10.  He lists dependancies but they do not look like programs or
libraries to me so I don't know how to check for them.

Here is the list of the dependancies.

Requires Samba to perform SMB lookup features.
Requires the following perl modules:
Net::Pcap;
NetPacket::Ethernet qw(:strip);
NetPacket::IP qw(:strip);
NetPacket::TCP;
NetPacket::UDP;
DBI;
Unicode::String qw(utf8 latin1 utf16);
Proc::Daemon;
Proc::Simple;
FileHandle;
Unix::Syslog;
GDBM_File;

I installed smb from Ubuntu's wonderful package manager.  In the FAQ
the Aimsniff author wrote a script to install the needed Perl pieces
by using CPAN but he says that Net::Pcap should be installed from
source.  When I run the script all the 'makes' that it tries to do fail.

Can anyone tell me how to get these dependancies satisfied and move
forward?

Thanks,
Mark