[ale] Need a big external drive quick. Suggestions?

Greg Freemyer greg.freemyer at gmail.com
Thu Jun 1 17:11:48 EDT 2006

All,

I need to copy off about 700 GB of data from a server Saturday night
(overnight, hope its done by Sunday morning).

I thought about buying one of the new Seagate 750 GB drives and
putting it in a USB 2 enclusere, but I'm afraid that with filesystem
overhead etc. it won't be big enough.

My next thought was a Lacie 1 TB external unit but some of the reviews
at Amazon are not so good.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/customer-reviews/B0001R041M/ref=cm_cr_dp_pt/104-6988910-3467137?%5Fencoding=UTF8&n=172282&s=electronics

Anybody have any suggestions?  Perfect would be something I could pick
up a Fry's etc.

Alternatively I should be able to order something overnight out of
California still tonight.

Thanks
Greg
--