[ale] linux / where (vmware)

Jerry Yu jjj863 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 1 12:30:40 EDT 2006

hi, there,

Yesterday  I failed to boot into a physical CentOS 4.3 inside vmware.
It complains that 'sda2' is not a valid ext2 fs then mounted it
anyway, only as read-only. I can then manually mount other fs and go
to RC5. Inside vmware, it should be hda/hdb (as shown by dmesg). df
shows sda2 is mounted.  'fdisk -l /dev/sda' gives no such device which
makes sense since dev tree are preped based on devices detected at
boot. all fs are labeled and referred to by label in /etc/fstab and
/etc/grub.conf, so I am a bit puzzled where does it get the idea it is
/dev/sda2?

The action prior booting to Windows this time is that I booted to
Linux and aborted before the rc scripts were run.  I fixed it by
booting to CentOS w/o vmware & re-run 'grub-install' which I didn't
think is necessary since I hasn't run it since the initial dual-boot
setup.

This is a dual boot system: xp + Centos 4.3. The boxen has a SATA
(sda) and a IDE disk (hda). GRUB is used as boot manager. On windows
XP, I have 'vmware player' installed and configured to boot to this
real/physical Linux os . Inside vmware, Centos 4.3 sees hda and hdb,
by the magic of special vmware disk alias.  It has been working for
months now.