[ale] Linux Server distros

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Fri Jul 28 23:07:40 EDT 2006

On Fri, 2006-07-28 at 22:22 -0400, Brian MacLeod wrote:
> > Yep, they both work the same way.
> >
> > A PXE boot to an intermediate screen to choose the anaconda loader (thus
> > selecting the release to install) with the built in kickstart is a dream
> > setup. I have the PXE boot and multiple installation options. What I
> > need is that intermediate step of an option screen:
> > 1. Fedora5 x86_64
> > 2. K12LTSP 32 bit
> > 3. K12LTSP 64 bit
> > 4. Slackware 10.1
> > 5. Centos 4.3 64 bit
> > 6. Centos 4.3 32 bit
> > 7. Yellowdog
> > 8. FreeDOS
> > 9. wipedisk
>

> Using anaconda as a front-end system loader for multiple distro's?
> Interesting idea.

Not really. At the moment I have to reset the dhcp.conf file for the
different pxelinux boot up to get the anaconda I want. This is done for
new system setups (Or I just use a boot CD-very common). I'm just
looking at bulk loading  series of machines and am looking at ways to do
it without a CD boot.

> In my case, I use pxelinux.
>
> I use this to provide a series of bootdisks for my work network that
> give me tools such as all of the hard drive manufacturer's disk
> utilities, memtest, BIOS update tools, linux distributions, and even
> Bart's PE.
>
> Pxelinux will let you set up a menu infrastructure where you can trap
> Fx keys to change screens, and have different options listed (and of
> course, you can have hidden options).  This is in fact how I have
> separated out my automatic imaging tools, the HD tools, and BIOS
> updates.

OK. That's more along the idea I was looking for as an in-shop process.
So you have a customized pxelinux that has a menu for the choices?  Care
to share some insights/pointers/links?