[ale] Linux Server distros

Brian MacLeod nym.bnm at gmail.com
Fri Jul 28 22:22:15 EDT 2006

> Yep, they both work the same way.
>
> A PXE boot to an intermediate screen to choose the anaconda loader (thus
> selecting the release to install) with the built in kickstart is a dream
> setup. I have the PXE boot and multiple installation options. What I
> need is that intermediate step of an option screen:
> 1. Fedora5 x86_64
> 2. K12LTSP 32 bit
> 3. K12LTSP 64 bit
> 4. Slackware 10.1
> 5. Centos 4.3 64 bit
> 6. Centos 4.3 32 bit
> 7. Yellowdog
> 8. FreeDOS
> 9. wipedisk

Using anaconda as a front-end system loader for multiple distro's?
Interesting idea.

In my case, I use pxelinux.

I use this to provide a series of bootdisks for my work network that
give me tools such as all of the hard drive manufacturer's disk
utilities, memtest, BIOS update tools, linux distributions, and even
Bart's PE.

Pxelinux will let you set up a menu infrastructure where you can trap
Fx keys to change screens, and have different options listed (and of
course, you can have hidden options).  This is in fact how I have
separated out my automatic imaging tools, the HD tools, and BIOS
updates.

bnm