[ale] Linux Server distros

Benjie benjie.godfrey at gmail.com
Fri Jul 28 14:33:43 EDT 2006

On 7/28/06, Tony Carter <tcarter at entrusion.com> wrote:

> > Linux is found outside the data center / enterprise
> > environment.
>
> It is? Someone may want to tell that to several of my Fortune 500 clients
> that are using Linux as part of mission critical systems..

Sorry if that wasn't very clear.  Linux is everywhere.

> >   I personally wish that I could install Fedora without all
> > the Gnome cruft,
>
> Maybe we should create a real minimal installer for FC5. Care to join in on
> such a project?
>
> -Tony

I have already looked into that, so yes, that's something I trying to
do.  I believe the CentOS people have produced something similar in
their stripped down server version,  but I haven't installed it yet.
I would love to be able to do an install similar to how it was done
before RedHat 6.  Simple text / curses interface, one disc.  I guess
the question becomes, what packages are the minimum needed?  And do
you need a compiler?  And Make?  And what else to configure your
packages?  And on and on and on!  This would be a cool project,  just
how minimal do we make it?

Benjie
--
drug, n: A substance that, injected into a rat, produces a scientific paper.