[ale] Mac switcher ... to Ubuntu

Thomas Stromberg lists at stromberg.org
Fri Jul 28 08:01:50 EDT 2006

On 28 jul 2006, at 07.22, Eric VanWieren wrote:

> I guess the question to ask is did he put linux on his mac, or did
> he buy a commodity machine.

I bet he went x86, and if not, he will real soon due to lack of PPC
application support.

This and other articles really made me think pretty hard about moving
back to a pure UNIX'y desktop again. When Mac OS X 10.0 came out, I
bought a G4 and stopped running FreeBSD as a desktop at home. It was
a great decision for a while, since I was doing so much operating
systems tinkering at work, and didn't want to come home to it as
well. Nowadays I'm just doing Python programming, and miss doing
systems work.

The tools on Linux are getting painless enough to use to make it
worthwhile to shift back now as a desktop. Mac OS X only seems to be
getting further from it's open-source roots as time goes on.  The
problem for me with switching to Linux is that I have no  x86 machine
capable of supporting two DVI monitors, as it's PCI only.  Running
Linux on my G5 sounded like a good compromiseat first until I think
about the binary-only applications I use that do are only available
under Linux x86:

* Bibble Pro (RAW Photo management)
* Macromedia Flash Player
* iTunes (through WINE / CrossOver)
* Google Earth

While I would miss Civilization IV, OmniGraffle, and support for my
Eye-One Match (color calibrator), I think I could get over it. I
suppose I'll wait a few months to see how Mac OS X 10.5 is shaping up
and perhaps acquire an x86 Mac that I can dual-boot with. =]

// Thomas Str?mberg
// http://toadstool.se/
// +1 678 773 9475