[ale] PPCQ: Trailing edge issues (longish - sorry)

Tim Meanor timothy at meanor.net
Wed Jul 26 14:06:51 EDT 2006

Sounds more like a hardware issue to me.  I thought that if the Mac
had a bad harddrive, it would attempt to boot from the CD.  At least
an old 8600 that I had would do that.  Are you sure your CD and
harddrive are cabled up correctly?  You may also need to reinitialize
the harddrive as well.  If you are able to get to the point where you
can boot off a CD, boot off the Mac OS 8.6 CD, go into Disk Utility
(or whatever it was called in those days), and you should be able to
format the drive, at least to the point that YDL can use it.  I've
never actually installed YDL, but I've dealt with bad harddrives in
Macs and installing new ones, though admittedly it's been a few years
since I've done this with a pre-OSX Mac.  Hope all this provides at
least a little bit of help.

-Tim