[ale] All about GRUB

hscast at charter.net hscast at charter.net
Mon Jul 24 18:06:18 EDT 2006

---- Richard Kolkovich <sarumont at sigil.org> wrote:

I have System Rescue-CD which is supposed to be Gentoo based, mounted all my partitions and then attempted to chroot and then run grub-install hd0 which didn't work and grub-install /dev/hda which also didn't work. I had also downloaded from Ubuntu the alternative iso, burned the pc went into rescue mode and selected to install GRUB on my HDD option. It went through the process of setting up the partition tables and then it started to do a base system install. I aborted that while it was still reading in from CD. I then repeated the first step but using my original Ubuntu Install CD and got the same results. Grub-install kept reporting that the device was not a block device or that it couldn't find /boot/grub. Doing a fdisk -l shows all three of my HDDs and the respective part. tables. I had even made hda1 bootable in fdisk.

Any Ubuntu folks out there that could help? KingBahamut r u out there? I need to get back up asap as I've possibly got a job offer coming up, and need to communicate using my regular PC & not my server or (cough, cough, gag) my wife's M$ box.

I originally had 2 13GB on my primary IDE (hda/hdb)
A DVD and a CD burner on Secondary IDE (hdc/hdd)
2 150GB SATA Drives on seperate SATA cd. (sda/sdb)

I removed what was hda to use to fix my grandson's pc and changed hdb to hda. I made the necessary changes to menu.lst (hd1,0 to hd0,0 as well as reference to /dev/hdb3 to /dev/hda3), as well as device.map is now:

hd0     /dev/hda
hd1     /dev/sda
hd2    /dev/sdb

I do believe that I have to still install grub stage_1 the MBR, but I could be wrong.

TIA

Scott Castaline