[ale] Serial & Console

Brandon Colbert colbert.brandon at gmail.com
Sun Jul 23 13:51:57 EDT 2006

I got it!  The trick is with the time.  You have 3 sec. to press any key on
the serial side to allow it to redirect to the serial side if not it will
boot using the console. Once I am in the serial side I am able to modify
grub, so if I wanted to single the box I will add the following line to the
kernel line: single console=ttyS0,57600

This is working great!

/etc/grub.conf

default=0
timeout=5
splashimage=(hd0,1)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
serial --unit=0 --speed=57600 --word=8 --parity=no --stop=1
terminal --timeout=3 serial console
hiddenmenu

/etc/securetty

ttyS0

/etc/inittab
# Allows Serial Console
co:2345:respawn:/sbin/agetty ttyS0 57600 vt100