[ale] Linux Server distros

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Sat Jul 22 23:09:32 EDT 2006

On Sat, 2006-07-22 at 18:47 -0400, Jim Popovitch wrote:
> So, I've been planning for some new server setups, and thus have been
> looking at CentOS 4 and Debian Sarge.  I'm pretty familiar with both.  I
> must say that in general both suck as a _server_ OS.  Particularly
> because they either don't easily support advanced end hardware (GB
> interfaces, RAID, etc) as is the case with Debian Sarge.  CentOS 4
> supports the higher end hardware (x86_64, etc), but it installs a ton of
> extra crap even on it's "minimal firewall install".  Why would someone
> want cups, some font/xlibs, nfs, etc. on a firewall?

Centos, as it is based on RedHat, is designed for X based server admin.
The server model thy are after is the same class that the group in
Redmond is after. To get a slim setup with Centos, use the minimal and
post install set iniittab to runlevel 3 and then remove the X packages
with yum group-remove. It is quite possible to get a RedHat derived
system down to a very small footprint on a hard drive.

The other view of this is just turn off the parts you don't want to run.
chkconfig xfs off is a good one to start with.

> Is there a better x86_64 server distro that doesn't require a 1000 post
> install tricks to make secure, slim, and usable?

yum group-remove will fix most of this.