[ale] [OT] Angies List - what's not to like

Jeff Hubbs hbbs at comcast.net
Mon Jul 17 18:35:28 EDT 2006

Patrick Bartkus wrote:
> Have anyone had a bad experience with Angie's List? www.angieslist.com
> <http://www.angieslist.com>
>
> It seems like a great idea. Use the web to have "neighbors" report
> about their experiences with local contractors, services, etc. The
> vendors can't buy their way onto the list. It is supported by user
> membership fees.
I don't see how that would keep the site from being "poisoned" with bad
info.

> They have hundreds of catagories of services and many, many reports
> about the various companies.
>
> I was looking for a roofing company but wanted word-of-mouth
> recommendations. This looks like the place I can find it.
>
> Has anyone found any thing wrong with this picture?
See above.  I don't think you could really trust what you saw unless
people identified themselves truthfully so as to stake their personal
reputation on what they had to say.  And, if you are not anonymous,
what's your legal exposure if you have bad things to say about Contractor X?

Although, you could have it be like Entertainment Tonight, on which no
actor, movie, TV show, or musical act sucks.