[ale] "Good" Newsreader for GNOME/Ubuntu?

Paul Cartwright paul_tbot at pcartwright.com
Thu Jul 13 05:03:11 EDT 2006

On Thu July 13 2006 1:55 am, Michael B. Trausch wrote:
> ?* View only threads that have unread messages in them, in addition
> ? ?to all threads.
> ?* Supports attachments and HTML posts, both reading and writing (I
> ? ?have to deal with lots of OE users in an online learning
> ? ?environment).
> ?* Supports specifying non-standard ports OR supports NNTPS -- if it
> ? ?doesn't support NNTPS, I have to use non-standard ports because
> ? ?I would have to use stunnel to connect to (multiple) servers.
> ?* Has a "next read message" key or shortcut.
> ?* Things like plonking, scoring, etc. do not matter to me.

I don't know if Klibido does EVERYTHING you want, but it is free:
http://klibido.sourceforge.net/
Features:
Automatic joining of multi-part posts
Automatic decoding of posts, using the uudeview library (yEnc
supported) or an internal decoder
Multiple servers support, with priorities and fallback if an article
fails on a server and is present on another server
Queue balancing: KLibido spreads the bytes load across servers with the
same priority
Multiple download threads per server support, with the ability to add
or remove threads "on the fly"
Gracefully handles network errors, timeouts, disconnects and
out-of-space errors
Acceptable (at least, by me :) memory usage (80-100 MB VMRss with
several large groups open)
Filter articles by subject and state (read, unread, complete,
incomplete)
Multi tabbed interface in IDEAl mode, to open multiple newsgroups at
once
KParts interface for previewing posts (.nfo, images, etc...) inside the
program
.nzb support
Download queue management:
Pause (and resume) the queue
Pause (and resume) the single posts
Drag and drop the items around to change the download order
Cancel download
Lists of finished and failed items
Granularity, with the ability to see the progress/status of the whole
post and of the single articles of the post
The progress of the download is saved and survives program
exits/crashes
--
Paul Cartwright
Registered Linux user # 367800